Friday, October 3, 2014

Hotheads Stylist Interview with AJ Schulz


AJ is currently a stylist and educator at Thomas West Salon in downtown Chicago and owner of Your Stylist AJ- an on-site bridal hair service. After completing the cosmetology program with Douglas J Aveda Institute, she was recruited by Van Michael Salon in Atlanta, GA, Aveda’s busiest salon in the world. Now, in Chicago, she is a full service hairdresser, with a specified passion in styling and special occasion hair.

HH: When did you discover that you wanted a career in the beauty industry?
AJ: Freshman year of high school! With zero doubt.

HH: What your favorite Hotheads Hair Extension color?
AJ: #613 alllll day! 

HH: Is there anyone that you would like to work with whom you haven't yet?
AJ: I’m pretty sure T Swift and I would be BFFs. I would love to tour with her and just keep
her hair perf. 

HH: Do you think this is a skill that successful beauty professionals are born with or is it one
that can to be cultivated and perfected? 
AJ: A strong combo. You can be great at anything you decide to be great at, but you can
spot the ones who are born with it from across the room. 

HH: How can young men and women who are aspiring to work in the beauty industry begin their journey?
AJ: Do you. People will try to talk you out of this industry because college is the way of
today. I would have gone to college had cosmetology been an option there, but it
wasn’t, and it won’t be. If you’re passionate about making people feel amazing through
beauty, please do the world a favor and follow that passion until you’re behind the chair. 

HH: What are some career goals that people should set for themselves before attempting a career in beauty?
AJ: Identify exactly what you want to do before you set out to do it. This industry is broad. If
you want to own a salon, business school or seminars a so important. If you’d like to
freelance, investigate what licensing is necessary. A big career goal that’s often
overlooked in this industry, is to stay organized. So much of this industry is up to you.
Do your taxes. I repeat, do you taxes.

HH: What is the hardest part about working in beauty?
AJ: Standing on your feet!

HH: Is beauty school a necessary step to take toward a career?
AJ: Not always. Plenty of beauty bloggers and influencers are successful and didn’t go to
beauty school. That said, it’s only a year, and you’ll be much more confident if you have
that under your belt.

HH: Who has inspired you the most throughout your career in beauty?
AJ: My boss, Tom has by far been the biggest influence in me professionally. He allowed me to grow my business rapidly, while providing me with endless support and freedom. I will
forever to be grateful for the opportunity to work in his salon, and Thomas West Salon is
the last salon I will ever work in.

HH: How can girls highlight their best features without going overboard?
AJ: Overdose on whatever makes you confident. Confidence is the best feature.

HH: Why do you think you decided to become a hair stylist?
AJ: I love that I have the potential to make someones day every day. I love that I live an
anti-cubicle lifestyle. I love being creative. I love chatting with amazing women all day.
Why isn’t everyone a hair stylist? It’s the best job ever. It’s not even work!

HH: What inspires you? Who inspires you?
AJ: I’m inspired by women sticking together. Girls get jealous of each other. Women
empower each other. My mom is the ultimate girl power role model. Women just need to be nice to each other, and she is a great example of that. It’s really not hard ladies, just be nice!

HH: What are your favorite Hotheads hair products?
AJ: I mean. There’s nothing like that hair. I wish my natural hair was as amazing. The deep
treatment keeps it feeling luscious.

HH: Which styling tools do you use most often?
AJ: I love a 1” flat iron because I can straighten, curl, and beach wave with it! It’s all I pack
when I travel, because what more do you need?

HH: What are some good tips for young people trying to break into the industry?
AJ: Please remember, the duplicate is never as good as the original. Break into the industry
by being YOU, and bringing newness. Doing what someone else is because it seems to
be working for them, won’t work as well for you. People will love you being you!

HH: How do you feel hair relates to personal style?
AJ: You wear your hair every day! If you wear it the same every day, that says one thing, but if it’s different every time your clients see you, that says something stronger.

HH:Did someone inspire the new look you have given her?
AJ: A huge part of my clientele are brides to be. There’s such an energy about brides!
They’re on the fitness game, have adapted a perfect skin routine, are putting healthy
foods into their bodies… So I love giving them fresh, full, long hair, because what in the
world could make you feel more beautiful?

HH: How do you think that hair relates to a person's confidence?
AJ: As women, we associate having hair with feeling sexy. Feeling sexy, LOOKS sexy.



3 comments:

  1. I found this site on Google. It was excellent and very informative. As a first time visitor to your blog I am very impressed. I found a lot of informative stuff in your article. Thanks for posting.

    Clip in extensions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I have free time I read the blogs but today I got the unique blog page where I learnt many new things thanks guys! click here for zala website

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Very Informative post. Please visit this link human hair lace front wigs for the best hair extensions

    ReplyDelete